Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Why I Believe in Homeschooling

Well, tonight I have copied and pasted a note for your reading pleasure. It was written by an acquaintance of mine, David Lorimer, and it is about his views on homeschooling. I think it is pretty good, but you'll just have to read it yourself. He is a little bit long-winded with this one, so it might take a few minutes to read.
And for the record, I was homeschooled too.

I believe in Homeschooling. Why on earth would someone homeschool? Shouldn't education be handled by those professionally trained? Don't homeschoolers just cop out of school? Don't homeschoolers have some kind of problems? And what about sociability?I am prepared to address all these concerns, and more. But first, a little bit about me.

I am homeschooled, and the middle of 5 siblings. I was homeschooled from K-12, then attended Kentucky Mountain Bible College. I found homeschooling to not only agree with me extremely well, but I believe it is one of the best things that ever happened to me.In this essay, I aim to express my reasons for why I believe in homeschooling. I do not intend to answer all objections or concerns regarding homeschooling. I do not write about every individual person's experience; I write about homeschooling as a theory and a model. I understand, perhaps more than some, that homeschooling has been much misused, and abused.That said, let us proceed!

Biblical Responsibility
The Bible makes it very clear that the responsibility for the education of children rests with the parents. (Deut 4:10, 6:7, 11:19, and many more). It is not the government's responsibility to educate your kids! You will not find one verse that indicates the government should educate children. The parents are Biblically responsible. Though the parents may choose to delegate the education, they still retain the responsibility. The Biblical model for education is in the home. I cannot understand why anyone would send their children to be trained by a pagan system. "If you send your children to Caesar, expect them to return as Romans." - Respondent, Homeschool Alumni Reunion 2008

Values Transfer
One of the greatest benefits to homeschooling is the transfer of values from the parents to the children. Because the entire educational process is directed by the parents, values are taught and demonstrated. This is true of any education, of course, which is why it is so important to watch carefully what your children are being taught! A large percentage of homeschoolers are Christians. I believe it is because of these first two reasons, the Bible, and Values."If there's something that's very important to me, am I going to let a stranger teach that to my kid!?" - Sarah Phillips

Philosophy of Education
One's philosophy of education makes a HUGE impact on their view of homeschooling. I will not expound all my thoughts here. Let me summarize. I do not believe education is about information. Our modern education system is very information-based. I believe education is training on how to think and how to learn. It is training for life. It is, as William Law set forth, an attempt to reverse some of the aspects of the Fall. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and knowledge (Prov. 9:10; Prov. 1:7). I believe that homeschooling best accomplishes the objective of training how to think, how to live life, how to be a good citizen, and how to be a right person.

Centrality of the Home and Family
We've often heard it said that the family is the building block of society. This is clearly described in the Bible, and has been observed by sociologists the world over. What better way to have a strong family than to have the family together, the better part of every day, with education in the home! Another benefit here is that the child's role-models become parents and older adults, instead of the popular jocks and cheerleaders. I believe in strong families, and so I believe in family-based education.

Socialization
But aren't homeschoolers socially handicapped? No, I've never met a homeschooler ever that I would say had major social problems. What most people notice is a difference in socialization. Our society's definition of socialization is based on the ability to lower inhibitions, talk about nothing endlessly, flirt, and politic. On the opposite side, homeschoolers tend to learn a socialization method that is more reserved (often interpreted aloof), respectful, thoughtful, and deeply-based. This disconnect produces a problem where both sides don't understand the other, and both think the other needs major social help! (yes, homeschoolers think the same thing about you.) Which is better? Personally, I believe the homeschooling approach is. Let me take up an example. Our society's socialization is evidenced very well at a day care. Here, very young children are taught to socialize and make friends with other children. Unfortunately, a very negative approach develops. Yes, they have learned to walk into a room full of people they don't know and be able to function. But they learn this walking into a room full of new people and claiming their space, and defending it from others (the politics has begun). "Mine," "mine," is a word heard ever so often. They also learn another dangerous lesson here -- that is, if it is lying around, it is fair game ... Think about what happens when people grow up with this idea ... On the other hand, homeschoolers learn their socialization from their parents and siblings. Thus, they are taught early to respect older people. They learn authority and respect. They also learn private property, as well as sharing. They must get along with siblings, but their own space is protected, and their self is developed. They learn to interact in a family setting, instead of a war of peers.Another item of socialization where homeschoolers excel greatly is cross-generational. Most youth only know how to socialize with a limited group of peers. Their goal is to be popular with the popular people. Put an average youth in a room full of octogenarians and see what happens! On the other hand, homeschoolers are at ease with all ages, because they have been raised in a community of all ages. Homeschoolers tend to view their "peers" as multi-generational. This can be very intimidating for an older adult, when a younger teen regards him as a peer! Homeschoolers don't tend to "fit" with their generation, because they tend to "fit" a little more just below their parents' generation. Is this bad? I don't think so. It produces mature young citizens."Questioner: But aren't you concerned about socialization?Homeschooler: Oh yes, we're very concerned about socialization. That's why we homeschool." (Natalie Wickham)

Educational Outcomes
An argument against homeschoolers is that they tend to be critical. It is indeed true. When one is truly taught to think, he is taught to not believe everything he hears, but to test it and try it, and see if it is indeed true. Homeschoolers are taught critical thinking. Because of this advanced training, they will challenge their teachers, which is where this reaction arises. Teachers (or "learned adults") are not often prepared to defend their beliefs and statements. They are used to everyone simply believing them without question. They do not like to be "attacked," as they perceive it. "Why, I am a professional, and that young kid had the audacity to challenge me, as if what I said might not be true!" If only they would learn their trade, career, or belief well enough to defend what they present, what great benefits they would find! If people were honest, they would admit they are intimidated by homeschoolers, because they are forced to give homeschoolers answers, not just platitudes. Homeschoolers have been taught to seek for truth. They have learned the important practice of critical thinking. If they have any weakness, it is a lack of tact.Homeschoolers are taught to find answers. A classroom school education reports that the student did well, passing with a 95%! A proper homeschooling education reports the same, but then requires that the homeschooler return to his lessons, and discover what 5% he did wrong, and how it is to be made right. The classroom student will never learn the percentage he missed; the homeschooler may learn it better than the 95% he knew well. The outcome of this is obvious. Homeschoolers learn to push themselves to higher levels. They learn not to give up. I heard a homeschooler say recently, "If it's wrong, I'll find the answer; if there is no answer, I'll find the answer."It is true, that across the board, homeschoolers do better on standardized tests than their public school contemporaries. They excel in all fields, from engineering to the arts. They tend to have more purpose, and more success, in life. They are not weak and wishy-washy. In fact, they are often chided for being too opinionated. They generally outclass their contemporaries in a way that has made them the target of whatever censure their offended peers could come up with.

Worldview
It can nearly all be summed up in worldview. A homeschooler's worldview is shaped by his family, instead of by the government or body of equally-immature peers. His thinking is shaped from day one by those who have gone before, who know more, and have more experience. But most of all, by those who care the most. The homeschooler does not receive a brainwashing of pagan God-denying bologna, parading as "great education". The homeschooler receives a building of precept upon precept, of real science, real thinking, and real faith. His life is not controlled by government money, availability of "good teachers", or political pressure. His life is controlled by the very people God gave him to: his parents.

One may rightly challenge:
"Ok, this is all well and good, but I know several homeschoolers that don't fit this description. In fact, they are lazy, unprepared for life, co-dependant, and ignorant. This is what homeschooling does!"I will answer:You are right. There are several homeschoolers exactly as you have described. They are a great tragedy, and I have no defense for them. But they are not a failure of the idea of homeschooling. They are a failure in implementing homeschooling. I agree that their poor education is inadequate, and their lives will be the poorer because of it.However, I will answer this: For every homeschooler of this type that you present, I will present an entire classroom school worthy of the same condemnation. And I dare say, I will have some to spare. What is more, for each homeschooler of this type that you present, I will present two who are of the type I describe. And I dare say, I will have many to spare.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this essay. I enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete