Friday, August 8, 2008

Procrastinators: Leaders of Tomorrow!

Phew! After 5 days of work, I have finally finished my project for this week. My sister had a job babysitting for our cousin in Nashville this week, so she has been out of town. My job was to clear her room of all of her stuff (in her absence and without her knowledge), pull out the old carpet, and replace the flooring before moving all her stuff back in. It was not really a big job, but I had to do it myself. In typical procrastinator fashion, I moved all of the stuff out Monday, stripped it to concrete and scraped the rough spots smooth Tuesday, painted primer Wednesday, and actually laid the floor Thursday. Then today I put down quarter-round, and the transition piece to the other flooring, and moved all of the stuff back in. Now that may not sound like procrastination. In fact, when you lay it out like that, it sounds like it was planned, but lets just say I was only doing a little each day, and only to keep my parents off my case. I could've had in finished by Wednesday if I had wanted to.

I guess my point is that procrastination isn't normally a problem if you know what it's going to take to finish. If you know a project will take 2 hours, and it has to be done by 6, then you can start at 4! The problem with this philosophy is when you run into a bit of a snafu. You can't always predict how long it will take to fix your problem. So it's always a good idea to do the important things first, blah blah blah, yada yada. You know what I'm talking about. "Why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?" and all that jazz.

All that to say this: My name is Caleb Jones, and I'm a procrastinator. I wait until the last minute to finish what I'm supposed to do, and will probably continue to do so until I end up learning the hard way. (which reminds me of another dc Talk song...they were a good band!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm planning on leaving you a comment on this post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete