Friday, July 18, 2008

Ebenezer

No, not Scrooge!
I was practicing my songs that I was gonna sing tonight, and when I got to the second verse of "Come, Thou Fount", it says "Here I raise my Ebenezer". I had one of those moment where you can't figure something out, but you know you're supposed to know the answer. But still, I could not remember what "raise my Ebenezer" meant for the life of me! So I went on a little quest to find the answer. (The Internet is an amazing thing, folks) When I found the answer, I felt really dumb because I did already know this. It's just one of those things that you know, but you don't remember. Anybody with me there? Oh well...

The term comes from 1 Samuel 7:12-14

12. Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen and called it's name Ebenezer; for he said, "Till now the Lord has helped us."
13. So the Philistines were subdued and did not again enter the territory of Israel. And the hand of the Lord was against the Philistines all the days of Samuel.
14. The cities that the Philistines had taken from Israel were restored to Israel, from Ekron to Gath, and Israel delivered their territory from the hand of the Philistines. There was peace also between Israel and the Amorites. (1 Samuel 7:12-14 -- ESV)


This passage talks about a time when the Ark of the Covenant was in the hands of the Philistines. All kinds of bad things were happening to the Philistines while they had the Ark, so they decided to give it back to the Israelites. Then Israel repented of their sins and gathered together. When the Philistines heard that there were so many in one place, they attacked. The children of Israel were afraid and cried out to God and he gave them the victory over the Philistines! So Samuel set up a stone as a monument, and named it Ebenezer. That literally means "Stone of Help".

So if I'm interpreting the message right, the song is basically praising God because He is the only one with the power to save us. and thanking Him for all of His help and His blessings.
Here I raise my Ebenezer; Hither by Thy help I'm come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure, safely to arrive at home:
Jesus sought me when a stranger, wand'ring from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger, bought me with his precious blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment