Sunday, July 27, 2008

B Batteries

No, folks, that's not a stutter. For this weeks random fact, I had thought of one early in the week, but I forgot it, so this is a last minute pick. It's surprisingly hard to come up with random facts in conversation when all of the people you talk to left the country. Please continue to pray for them. I talked to Rebekah today, and they really love it there. They will be travelling back Friday, so please remember them in prayer.

So anyway, on with the story! Ever wondered why there are AAA, AA, C, and D batteries, but no A or B ones? Well, as it turns out, there are! They used to be common, but they're just not used anymore. Several battery sizes were standardized by the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) in the early 20th century, but the industry has generally used fewer and fewer designs over the years. This cuts down on costs for the manufacturers, retailers, and even the users. So now, all of the A and B batteries hold their place on a dusty shelf along with the others that are no longer used, like E and N batteries.

Tune in next week, and I might remember the useless information I was going to tell you in the first place. Then again, I might not. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment